Vacancy – Café Supervisor
(Seasonal post: 1 April – 1 November 2020)
Rate of Pay: £9.00 per hour
The Farmland Museum and Denny Abbey is looking for a Café Supervisor to organise the daily operations of the Docky Box Tea Room, supervise staff and provide excellent customer service.
The postholder will be required to work every Thursday and Friday during the open season, some Saturdays and Sundays on a rota basis, Bank Holiday Mondays, and some Wednesdays in the school holidays. Normal hours of work will be 10:30am – 4:30pm (café is open 11-4), with extra hours on event days and Bank Holidays.
The Museum is increasing the opening hours of the café this season, while making changes to the menu and to the overall café environment. The Café Supervisor will be integral to making this new venture a success.
The postholder will supervise two Tea Room Assistants, who will cover some weekends, holidays and also work on busy event days. On most shifts, the postholder will be the sole member of staff in the café, or will be supported by volunteers.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the café, reporting to the museum’s Commercial Officer.
- Supervise two Tea Room Assistants, holding regular catch-up meetings.
- Produce rotas and ensure enough cover for busy days.
- Train volunteers to help in the café.
- Oversee all aspects of food safety, observing all statutory hygiene and health & safety requirements and ensuring others do likewise.
- Monitor stock levels and coordinate with suppliers to ensure the café is adequately stocked each week.
- Maintain records of daily income and expenses.
- Serve customers at the counter, with a view to maximizing income.
- Prepare a limited selection of food and hot drinks, including sandwiches, toasties, and jacket potatoes.
- Suggest and implement new menu items and special offers to increase revenue.
- Use a touch screen till to take orders, process card and cash payments, and cash up at the end of each shift.
- Display and restock items including baked goods, snacks and cold drinks.
- Ensure café is kept clean and tidy at all times, implementing a regular cleaning schedule.
- Follow a strict close-down procedure to leave the tea room clean, tidy and secure.
- Ensure a high level of customer satisfaction by providing exceptional service.
- Nurture friendly relationships with customers to increase loyalty and boost our reputation.
- A high standard of Customer Service experience.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to manage and motivate a team.
- Experience of working in a café environment, and of providing quick service with a high level of presentation.
- Experience of preparing hot and cold food and drinks for sale to the public.
- Possession of a Food Hygiene certificate (ideally Level 3). Training must be undertaken if not recently completed.
- Knowledge of allergen awareness in food handling.
- Ability to work alone and use initiative.
- Awareness of Health and Safety requirements (training will be given).
- Ability to use a touch screen till, cash up and process card payments (training on this system given).
- Experience of opening and closing up or of being a key holder.
- Own transport essential to access the site.
Applications should take the form of a letter or email explaining why you would be a good fit for the role and how you meet the person specification.
Applications can be sent by email to:
Sarah Michael, Commercial Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post to:
Sarah Michael, Commercial Officer, The Farmland Museum, Denny Abbey, Ely Road, Waterbeach, Cambridge, CB25 9PQ.
For more information or to discuss the post in more detail, contact Sarah Michael on 01223 860988 or by email at email@example.com
This vacancy will remain open until we have appointed.