Vacancy: Museum Assistant
Fixed-term: end March – 27 October 2019
Salary: £8.75 per hour
Hours of work: 22.5 hours per week
Friday, Saturday, Sunday and some Bank Holiday Mondays – 10:00am- 5:30pm
The Farmland Museum and Denny Abbey is seeking a Museum Assistant to join the front-of-house team for the 2019 season. The postholder will act as the first point of contact for visitors to the museum, welcoming everyone in a friendly and professional manner. Working predominantly in the museum admissions kiosk and shop, the Museum Assistant will focus on maximising income-generation through sales and events. The job also involves ensuring the safety of visitors, and the cleanliness of the Museum. The role may involve some lone-working.
The role will provide the successful applicant with the opportunity to be at the heart of running the museum, helping to plan key events and learn about collections care.
- Open and lock up buildings on the site
- Welcome visitors and sell admission tickets, encouraging Gift Aid donations
- Process purchases in the shop, promoting items to maximise income
- Maintain stock levels, price and display merchandise
- Produce sales and admissions reports
- Cash up the till
- General housekeeping duties to ensure the public areas of the site are safe and clean (including being on a rota for cleaning toilets and emptying bins)
- Note maintenance issues, direct these to the relevant person
- Deal with general enquiries via telephone and email
- Help plan, set-up and manage museum events
- Occasionally supervise volunteers
- Assist with group visits, with the potential to give guided tours in future
- Set up rooms for activities, meetings and workshops
- Generate social media content to promote the museum and events
- Liaise with contractors, museum stakeholders and Trustees
- Assist the Museum Officer with display maintenance and cleaning when required
- Data entry into MODES database of collections information (training and support will be given)
- General administrative duties
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience of working in a retail environment, including using a till and processing card payments (desirable but not essential as training will be provided)
- Museum or heritage-sector experience (desirable but not essential)
- A flexible approach to work, with a can-do attitude and willingness to ‘pitch in’ and get things done
- Ability to work unsupervised to a high standard
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- IT skills
The successful candidate will be required to obtain a DBS check and First Aid Certificate.
Applications should take the form of a CV and covering letter, explaining why you would like the position and giving examples of how you meet the person specification, along with any other relevant information, and be submitted by email to email@example.com or by post to Sarah Michael, The Farmland Museum, Denny Abbey, Ely Road, Waterbeach, Cambridge, CB25 9PQ
Deadline for applications Monday 25th February 2019 at 12:00noon.
Interviews will take place in the week beginning 4th March 2019.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Sarah Michael, Commercial Officer, on 01223 860 988 or at firstname.lastname@example.org